Subject: Re: wscons scroll support
To: Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2001 12:11:35
A common scrollbuffer for multiple VTs doesn't make any sense. Get serious.

I would expect the scroll buffer to be allocated when enabled and that
VT scrolls for the first time. I often have multiple VTs configured
in the kernel, but start the machine right away into X and never use any
virtual console. So being punished with scrollback buffer for the boot
console is enough.

Is it worth thinking about simple line-compression for the buffer (i.e. not
copy whole physical lines, but only the start of the line to the last used
position)?

Martin