Subject: Re: wscons scroll support
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2001 21:58:23
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Just tried this out, and it works really well, though I did find a
>         couple of small points:
>             a) Switching virtual consoles resets the scroll buffer

that's not a bug, that's a feature :). There are basically to way
to implement console scrolling: using VGA memory to store the buffer
(Linux) or allocating KVM memory (FreeBSD). I prefered the second one
because I like to scroll back as much as I want (you have no physical
limitations). But in order not to wasted to much KVM the scroll
buffer is shared among virtual screens. The other way would be to
allocate a scroll buffer for each virtual screen but that seem to much
a waste. BTW the behaviour is the same as FreeBSD a Linux...

>             b) Scrolling up and down while the rc scripts are running
>                results in lost characters at the start of some lines
>                eg: " ounting all filesystems..."

That's a bug. Are you using soft or hardware cursor? is the screen
80x25?
The lines just before and just after are correct? If not can you please
send me the exact pattern of the screen? I suppouse this should not
happen
if you use hardware cursor... could you please check it?
(I'll do it as well)

>             c) http://www.pao.lombardiacom.it/scroll/ has 'sys/' missing
>                from /usr/src/sys/dev/ic/pcdisplayvar.h
>         Good work so far :)