Subject: Re: UBC hurts tar extraction speed
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2001 06:23:27
Hi Chuck,

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> yea, there is some performance work remaining to be done for softdeps
> in the UBC world.  (and other areas too, but this is one of the more
> noticable ones.)  I haven't had a chance to investigate yet,
> but it's on my list of things to do.

Well... if i look at IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote, would it be an easy fix to
at least glue individual pages that need to be written out together? so
continuous pieces of memory and disc can easily be glued as one operation
and thus not hitting the maximum number of transactions for a
device? maybe in a much lower level of disc scheduling perhaps? as a more
general issue? havent looked at code yet, but maybe its more general? or
even implemented allready ?

just my $0.02c :)

Cheers,
Reinoud