Subject: Re: HEADS UP: i386 supports 16 partitions now
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2001 13:00:17
In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0101032150240.6233-100000@rfhpc8320.fh-regensburg.de>
Hubert Feyrer writes,

>On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
>> How many other ports are impacted?  I thought it was only NetBSD/arc
>> at this point, but maybe I'm confusing issues.
>
>Quite a number -
>grep MAXPARTITIONS /usr/cvs/src-current/sys/arch/*/*/disklabel.h

If we are going to do an interim fix, is  16 parititons really enough?

I'd like to install NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Linux all on one disk, in a
multi-boot setup, and (ideally) have access to all partitions
irrespective of whatever OS is running.

IIANM, FreeBSD slices can handle that (BSD partitions are minors
within the "slice?) but 16 partitions seem small-- way too small, if
one adds OpenBSD and/or Gatesware to the mix.

I'd be happier with 32 parittios, but that causes even more
problems for (eg) Sun labels, right?