Subject: Re: 64 bit hostid
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2001 11:04:26
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > hostid -f shows the status of the two EUI64 flag bits in the host id -
> > 	"global/local" and "group/individual" - ina readable manner.
>
> If it is in EUI64 form, it should not be a group address.

Yeah, but the bit's there so I list it :-)

> Hm, didn't look
> at your code... you're aware that the global bit is inverted between EUI64
> and interface IDs?

Yep.

> Meaning that 32bit hostids as defined now, and used for
> licensing software, can not be used 1:1 for the 64bit hostid, if you require
> it to be EUI64.

The flag bits are in the upper 32 bits, though - so a host ID based on
that can contain the PROM code in the lower 32 and whatever we feel like
adding inthe upper 32 :-)

I'd like to perhaps split it into two sysctls - leave hostid as 32 bits,
but have it just referring to the lower 32 bits of kern.eui64; if you're
using EUI64s from hostnames or MAC addresses then you can either have the
lower 32 bits of it as your host ID, and if you leave the eui64 as set by
the PROM, then it'll also be usable as a LOCAL EUI64.

> Regards,
> 	-is

ABS

--