Subject: Re: Host IDs
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2001 00:22:04
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

> i believe it only supplies 32 bits, and if you set it via sysctl, it
> will not be persistant (ie, you'd have to stuff the bits you wanted in
> /etc/sysctl.conf...or make your own prom :).

Indeed.

Ok, I've modified my 1.5 kernel to use a "long long" as the hostid. It's a
sparc, and it still gets set to the ssame host id value as it did when it
was just a long, proving that it's backwards compatible :-)

I think that having two interfaces on the same Ethernet broadcast domain
is sufficiently rare to be worth hand-configuring the interfaces for! The
machine would have to be a router from an IPv6 config viewpoint anyway!

Therefore, since nobody has yet said it would be a bad idea, I'll start
munging ifconfig and rtsold to use this 64 bit value...

Patches will be submitted in due course :-)

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/