Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX: matching LinuxPPC binaries
To: Jarommr Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2001 12:24:22
> I also looked at Linux/i386 binary and it has .comment with some
> informations about build system; string 'Linux' appears there
> many times. Probably Linux/ppc has something similar.

No, on the PowerPC, this .comment section does exists, but it contains
the string "GCC: (GNU) egcs-2.90.25 980302 (egcs-1.0.2 prerelease)"
repeated several times, and no reference to Linux.

Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com> wrote:
>       So what about the note section?  Is there one?  Does an "objdump -s"
> show anything in the section, if there is?  It should have the string
> "GNU\n" in there somewhere.  (.note or .note.ABI-tag, or ...)

No .note section at all. We can match on "GNU" in .comment, but are we
sure this is Linux if we get "GNU"? Doen't that just mean the programm
was compiled using gcc?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Pas de processeur Intel, pas de logiciels Microsoft: