Subject: Re: Changing wi's default to BSS?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <dme@dme.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2001 09:38:44
* lukem@wasabisystems.com [2001-01-02 07:33:36]
> (It is annoying to have to do "ifconfig wi0 -mediaopt adhoc" before I
> run dhclient wi0 to snarf an IP address. I'm sure there's a way around
> this in dhclient.conf, but it's not obvious ;)

Use /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks, which is called more than just at exit
time.  Mine is:

if [ x$reason = xPREINIT ]; then
        if [ x$interface = xwi0 ]; then
                /usr/sbin/wiconfig $interface -p 1
        fi
fi

Which still uses wiconfig rather than ifconfig, but the principle is
the same.

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 10:24:50AM -0500, John Hawkinson wrote:
> > Anyhow, all this confusion over "ad hoc" modes suggests to me that
> > it's a good time to change wi's default to BSS. My inclination is to
> > just change it in both -current and 1.5.1. Does anyone have other
> > opinions or thoughts on the matter?

I'd prefer the change.  No-one who is habitually using adhoc mode
seems to have commented though...

dme.