Subject: Re: Changing wi's default to BSS?
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2001 18:33:36
On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 10:24:50AM -0500, John Hawkinson wrote:
> Anyhow, all this confusion over "ad hoc" modes suggests to me that
> it's a good time to change wi's default to BSS. My inclination is to
> just change it in both -current and 1.5.1. Does anyone have other
> opinions or thoughts on the matter?

Based on what you've said (and it appears you've done a bit of
research on this :), and my limited experience with 802.11b stuff
which has ~ all been BSS mode (at conferences, at a friend's house),
I concur with your thoughts that we should change to BSS mode by
default.

(It is annoying to have to do "ifconfig wi0 -mediaopt adhoc" before I
run dhclient wi0 to snarf an IP address. I'm sure there's a way around
this in dhclient.conf, but it's not obvious ;)

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org