Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX: a problem with dup2()
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/01/2001 13:59:27
> So here we have a problem: how can we match Linux statically linked
> executables? This would be espacially usefull since shared executables
> do not work yet (they crash). I need to try simple static programs to
> find what's wrong and fix the problem...

I made more tests. I don't understand exactly how, but it seems we are
able to distinguish Linux binaries from NetBSD binaries without any of
the linux_signature and linux_gcc signature tests.

Is there any drawbacks of just skipping linux_signature on the PowerPC?
If not, what's the prefered way?

We can bracked the linux_signature test in linux_probe with
#if !defined (__powerpc__)

Or we bracket the test with a #ifdef LINUX_SIGNATURE and add the
LINUX_SIGNATURE symbol to each arch/*/linux_exec.h, except for powerpc
arch, of course.

I think the second way is cleaner, because it removes architecutre
dependent condtionnals from the common code. Opinions?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
UNIX *is* user friendly. It is just a bit selective about his friends