Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX: a problem with dup2()
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/31/2000 20:29:47
> With a statically linked binary the "/lib/ld-linux" string is probably
> not present.  Also, it seems that the elf note section that explicitly
> identifies the OS the binary is for is either not present or we're not
> checking it correctly.

That's what I discovered a few hours ago: the signature routine is not
able to identify LinuxPPC executable with signature or gcc_signature,
but it can see that it is a Linux executable when it is a shared
executable beacause of the "/lib/ld-linux" string.

>  You might want to try adding an
> "options LINUX_GCC_SIGNATURE" to your kernel config file and see if
> it works then.

It seems there is no difference with LINUX_GCC_SIGNATURE. NetBSD is not
able to distinguish LinuxPPC binaries with this method.

So here we have a problem: how can we match Linux statically linked
executables? This would be espacially usefull since shared executables
do not work yet (they crash). I need to try simple static programs to
find what's wrong and fix the problem...

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Il ne suffit pas de crier l'iMac, l'iMac! en sautant comme un cabri...