Subject: Re: hardcoding uname
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/31/2000 10:21:10
Todd Vierling wrote:
> Hardcode what the linux uname() calls return (Linux 2.2.5 is the current
> value). A few major applications check for this (like VMware), and
> there is no other way to trick them. Needs a more generic solution
> eventually.
>
> =====
>
> This doesn't seem right, even in the short term.  (Particularly, this
> shouldn't persist to the 1.6 branch.)

Yes, this is not right solution. I definitely don't want linux Netscape
to say it's running on Linux.
This should be per-application hack, not a generally deployed solution.

Between other things, glibc/linuxthreads uses realtime signals for kernel
version >= 2.1.70 (see sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/testrtsig.h). As a matter of
fact, NetBSD Linux emulation doesn't support realtime signals yet.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@