Subject: Re: patch to add scroll support to vga wscons
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Paolo Losi <p.losi@lombardiacom.it>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2000 11:00:44
Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> Paolo Losi wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >         at the following URL http://www.pao.lombardiacom.it/scroll you
> > can find the patch to 1.5 RELEASE to add scroll support to vga wscons.
> > The "look and feel" is like the Linux/OpenBSD ones the implementation
> > is based on a KVM allocated buffer just like FreeBSD.
> >
> > The work is not cleaned up yet and I'm submitting it for review.
> >
> > I'd be very happy if, once reviewed, this patch could be merged in the
> > development branch and my name could live forever in a CVS log comment
> > ;)
>
> How about using up and down arrow keys and PgUp/Down to scroll up and down
> while scroll lock is turned on? FreeBSD console works in that way and I
> think it's more convenient than Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/Down combination.
>
> Jun-Young
>
> --
> Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>

IMHO it's more "quick" to scroll the linux way (maybe because I was used
to that).
I think it's basically a matter of taste rather than a tecnical issue.
Anyway I will implement the look and feel preferred by the majority of
the community.

I think we have basically three way to do it:
- Shift-PgUp/Down  (in this case we could implement auto-repeat if keys
are kept pressed)
- Ctrl-Alt-PgUp/Down (slightly cleaner code than the above, no
autorepeat)
- Screen Lock a la FreeBSD

I'll be happy to count the votes that you send me :)

	Paolo