Subject: Re: 'vendor' top-level MIB for sysctl
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/2000 13:30:49
In message <200012280545.AAA19020@contents-vnder-pressvre.mit.edu> John Hawkinson writes:
: I think it would be best to go with your alternative, and require
: vendor OIDs to be registered IANA enterprise numbers, cf.
: http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/enterprise-numbers
: this outsources the registration.
:
: But I'm not an SNMP/OID guru; there might be important SMI-ish
: issues that I'm missing. Anyone?

I can't think of any reason not to do that.  When we needed our vendor
ID for the enterprises (which is likely the right name at the top
level) name tree, it was trivial to get.  We got our name a few months
ago and are number 6914.  I cannot think of SMIish issues that would
surround this.  It would be nice if those vendors privided a MIB
definition for their sysctls, but that's their business to do or not
do.

Warner