Subject: Re: Increasing maximum partition to 16
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/2000 14:32:47
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Chuck Silvers wrote:

: > We have already been down this road of discussion some time ago and came to
: > the conclusion that reusing higher bits of the minor number for further
: > partitions was perfectly acceptable.
:
: who is the "we" that has had this discussion before?

The developer group around the time dev_t was expanded to 32 bits.  This
was early in 1998.

: could you point me to the thread in the mailing list archives?

I'll leave this as an exercise for the reader, because it's been so long as
that I no longer remember the subject lines.

: > That's not addressed by this thread, and does not help people who want this
: > feature right now.
:
: the feature that people want is not "increase MAXPARTITIONS", it is
: "allow me to divide my disks into more logical devices".  a logical volume
: manage would provide this feature in a more flexible way than just
: increasing MAXPARTITIONS.

Sure, but again, this is not addressed by this thread and can be attacked
separately.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/