Subject: Re: line disciplines for parallel ports
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/22/2000 07:44:58
Hi Martin and Lloyd,

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > Are they a good idea? I can think of several uses for them. There seem
> > to be several ways of doing bidirectional I/O and there are also a
> > number of devices that speak SCSI over the parallel port. Is this the
> > sort of thing that line disciplines are for?
>
> There have been talks about doing something similar to the FreeBSD parport-bus,
> but obviously interest in parallel thingies has decreased (first with the
> advent of pcmcia, now even more with USB).

Well i agree, but still it would be a good idea... dont know the
complexity though... might be trivial even but it sure is cleaning things
up - and i like that :)

> I'm remotely interested, as I've used PLIP, a DCF77 receiver and somewhere
> have a DLINK 620 ethernet adaptor that was meant to be used with NetBSD, but
> now that notebook has retired completely and been replaced with a PCMCIA
> capable one.

Bit offtopic maybe on tech-kern, but how did you use that ? I do have 2
parallel port ethernet adaptors (brand unknown to me now...) wich i would
like to use for my Acorn A4 laptop (supported by NetBSD/arm26)...

Cheers,
Reinoud