Subject: Re: line disciplines for parallel ports
To: Lloyd Parkes <Lloyd.Parkes@eds.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2000 23:28:39
> Are they a good idea? I can think of several uses for them. There seem
> to be several ways of doing bidirectional I/O and there are also a
> number of devices that speak SCSI over the parallel port. Is this the
> sort of thing that line disciplines are for?

There have been talks about doing something similar to the FreeBSD parport-bus,
but obviously interest in parallel thingies has decreased (first with the
advent of pcmcia, now even more with USB).

I'm remotely interested, as I've used PLIP, a DCF77 receiver and somewhere
have a DLINK 620 ethernet adaptor that was meant to be used with NetBSD, but
now that notebook has retired completely and been replaced with a PCMCIA
capable one.

Martin