Subject: Re: "too many files" in an FFS dir?
To: Paul A Vixie <vixie@mfnx.net>
From: Jean-Francois Landry <jf.landry@videotron.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2000 00:23:13
On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 11:01:20AM -0800, Paul A Vixie wrote:
> http://www.vix.com/~vixie/fbsd-flat.png shows a freebsd 4.2 system putting
> ~75K files (the MAPS RSS if you must know) into a single directory and
> then accessing them in a different order (to prevent implicit double
> buffering).
>
> http://www.vix.com/~vixie/bsdi-flat.png is exactly the same test run on a
> bsd/os 3.1 system.  as you can see, there's a remarkable mode difference.
>
> the difference comes down to soft dependencies.  if someone would like to
> run these tests on netbsd, i'll make my test tools available.

Hi Paul. I'd like to run those tests on a ReiserFS partition on Linux.
Yes, it's not BSD, but I'm interested in filesystems and I think it
would be interesting to compare FFS + softdep to a new FS designed to be
fast with millions of files in a single directory. I'd also like to test
XFS, JFS, ext2, NTFS, Veritas, AdvFS and whatnot, but due to lack of
ressources I'll have resign myself to test just one.

Thanks for providing the info on FreeBSD, it seems softdeps have made
quite an improvement to the speed of FFS.

Jean-Francois Landry

--
"I used to be with `it', but then they changed what `it' was.
Now what I'm with isn't `it', and what's `it' is weird and scary.