Subject: Re: "too many files" in an FFS dir?
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2000 18:05:21
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:

> files, but it will eventually scale up to tens of thousands of files.
>
> Is there any good reason why I should not plan to store all of the
> files in one directory?

You will be *able* to, but the linear directory search for directory
operations will slow you down quite a bit if there are too many files, if
you need to access them by name.  You probably want to access them by name
at some point, though there was recently a discussion about using fhopen
to partially work around this problem; using a more balanced naming system
is definitely more portable.
						Konrad Schroder
						perseant@hhhh.org