Subject: "too many files" in an FFS dir?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2000 20:57:13
Hi.  I'm designing a metadata system which is intended to describe
thousands of files with unmeaningful names.  I want to put all the
files in one directory.  The system will start out handling only 2000
files, but it will eventually scale up to tens of thousands of files.

Is there any good reason why I should not plan to store all of the
files in one directory?

What I know about berkeley ffs suggests not, but it worries me that
squid (the http proxy) goes to a great deal of trouble to store small
(less than 1000 entries) numbers of cached documents in one directory.

Thanks for your time!

Jonathan Fuerth