Subject: re: weird kernfs behaviour.
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au, wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/14/2000 17:26:38
	   On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, matthew green wrote:

	   > kernfs on the sparc64 port has started not working for rootdev & rrootdev:
	   >
	   > # mount -t kernfs /kern /kern
	   > # ls -l /kern/rootdev
	   > ls: /kern/rootdev: Bad file descriptor
	   > # ls -l /kern/rrootdev
	   > ls: /kern/rrootdev: No such file or directory
	   >
	   >
	   > this only happens with the `miniroot' (which is just a normal GENERIC kernel,
	   > not an md_root using one), when loaded on sd0b/wd0b.  if i boot from sd0a it
	   > works just fine.  why this matters i don't understand...
	   >
	   >
	   > perhaps a UBC thing?  i don't recall when it started happening but it doesn't
	   > happen in 1.5 or anything a couple of months after the branch (when i last
	   > did real work on the installer).

	   I've seen rrootdev not work on i386 systems in the past, and I was never
	   able to figure out why.

	   I'd say put some printfs in the code which tries to find the root device,
	   and see what comes up.

	my initial failure with kernfs were to do with this -- i just needed to add
	wd to chrtoblk[] and it started working properly.  that part of it works.  it
	makes a call to kernfs_lookup(), that seems to work... but it still fails..

Um, I don't know what your problem is:

nonplus.one-o.com:~: uname -a
NetBSD nonplus.one-o.com 1.5M NetBSD 1.5M (NONPLUS64) #255: Mon Dec 11 10:30:41 PST 2000     eeh@nonplus.one-o.com:/home4/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/NONPLUS64 sparc64
nonplus.one-o.com:~: cd /kern
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: ls
./         boottime   hostname   loadavg    pagesize   rootdev    time
../        copyright  hz         msgbuf     physmem    rrootdev   version
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat boottime
0
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat loadavg
588 311 205 2048
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat pagesize
8192
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat physmem
8192
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat version
NetBSD 1.5M (NONPLUS64) #255: Mon Dec 11 10:30:41 PST 2000
    eeh@nonplus.one-o.com:/home4/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/NONPLUS64
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: cat hz
100
nonplus.one-o.com:/kern: