Subject: Re: proposed mods to config(8) and the kernel build process
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2000 07:00:31
On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:49:30AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > [ On Tuesday, December 12, 2000 at 06:28:18 ( +1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> > > Subject: proposed mods to config(8) and the kernel build process
> > >
> > > b) Store a copy of the kernel's config file in the kernel itself,
> > >    in a manner that's easily extractable by a user.
> >
> > IIRC FreeBSD has had this feature since at least 2.2.8 or before.
> >
> > Such a feature is a "good" thing, I think.  A complete copy of the
> > original file, after processing "include" statements of course, is ideal
> > -- i.e. it would be best to keep everything, comments and all....
>
> Such a feature is a good thing unless the goal is to ultimately eliminate the
> config file and replace it with .conf settings or something similar (as the
> FreeBSD loader is).

Is there any reason not to provide this functionality until a separate
kernel configuration mechanism exists? (which hasn't even been
discussed let alone had an implementation started or completed :)

	``oh no, don't do <foo>, we'll have feature <bar> to do that better''

	two years go by, no sign of <bar>, we've missed out on being
	slightly better for our users because there was no <foo>
	either :-|

Can someone point me in the direction of docco or what part of FreeBSD
does this? If we do decide we like the functionality and their scheme
is reasonable, we probably should look at using it.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org