Subject: Re: LFS v2 layout
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jesse Off <joff@gci-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2000 19:05:27

> Did you have any though at snapshots ? This is a functionality peoples
> may want, and which, at very quick view, seems easier to do with LFS
> and FFS.

This can actually be done right now entirely in userland with lfs_cleanerd
magic.
It requires no changes to the LFS data layout or kernel code at all.  Thats
one
of the beauties of LFS and the userland cleaner. :-)  Things like this can
be
implemented entirely in userspace and without filesystem design tweaks.

Theres lots of cool things we can do with our userland cleaner.
We could also do something that automatically archives old segments to tape
before
they are remarked clean by the cleaner.  With this we would be able to
continuously
backup the filesystem, and become able to backup almost every individual
change
rather than periodically snapshoting and archiving. i.e. versioning, but for
the entire filesystem.
Again, this could be done with 0 changes to the kernel + LFS format and
implementable
entirely in userland.

//Jesse Off