Subject: Re: wscons
To: matt farnsworth <mattf64@hotmail.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2000 21:27:22
On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 01:32:14AM +0000, matt farnsworth wrote:
> Actually, I have already modified various settings, such as:
>
> # wscons options
> options         WSEMUL_VT100            # VT100 / VT220 emulation
> options         WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_GREEN
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_PCVT           # emulate some ioctls
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_SYSCONS        # emulate some ioctls
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL            # VT handling
> options         WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_RAWKBD         # can get raw scancodes
> options         WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS=4
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't add this option. I'm not even sure why it exists, but it configures
that number of virtual terminals when the kernel boots. Then when you
try to configure them with your preferences later you can't because they
are already configured.

> I tried the various suggestions in this thread haven't succeeded at getting
> it to boot in 80x50 mode.

The main terminal (the one the kernel messages appear on) cannot be
reconfigured. The rest can be.

> at boot time it also reports:
> wsconscfg: already configured (4 times)

Right, because it was allocated and configured at kernel init time. Remove
that above option from your kernel config file.

> I have a /dev/ttyE4, but ctrl-alt-F5 is a blank screen and the cursor
> appears to be sized for 80x25

You did change /etc/ttys to enable getty on the other virtual terminals,
right?

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper