Subject: Re: wscons
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/2000 09:13:30
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 05:45:13PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > I've got wscons working just fine in 1.5_ALPHA2. I use the 80x50 fonts
> > and resolution. Make sure the line for the font vt220l.808 is uncommented
>
> Excuse me, but would you show me a complete /bin/sh script, which
> should work any environment, to add a >80x24 wscons screen? Something
> would appear by testing the script on some machines by folks reading
> here. It's okay for me to summarize email reports.

I'm only modifying my wscons.conf file. I enabled wscons in /etc/rc.conf,
and next time I rebooted it came up just fine. (I rebooted because I had
a number of other things to change also since it was a new machine I was
tweaking.) If you prefer I think you can put this wscons.conf in place
and then run /etc/rc.wscons (a shell script). I think "/etc/rc.d/wscons start"
would also work.

I think you must have the proper compatibility options configured into your
kernel, but the GENERIC kernel already has them set (so if you run GENERIC
then you should be fine by default). (If needed, I can email off-list the
kernel config file that I use.)

Here is my wscons.conf:

#	$NetBSD: wscons.conf,v 1.5.4.1 2000/08/09 07:50:33 drochner Exp $
#
# workstation console configuration

# fonts to load
#	name	width	height	enc	file
font	ibm	-	8	ibm	/usr/share/wscons/fonts/vt220l.808

# Note: "pcvt" encoded fonts are only useful with the "*bf" screen types
#  of the "vga" driver. The kernel must be compiled with the option
#  "WSCONS_SUPPORT_PCVTFONTS" turned on. See vga(4).
#font	pcvt	-	-	pcvt	/usr/share/wscons/fonts/vt220h.816
#font	pcvt	-	8	pcvt	/usr/share/wscons/fonts/vt220h.808

# screens to create
#	idx	screen	emul
# Screen 0 is already configured as console in most cases.
#  Uncomment if a serial console is used.
#screen	0	-	vt100
screen	1	80x50	vt100
screen	2	80x50	vt100
screen	3	80x50	vt100
screen	4	80x50	vt100
screen	5	80x50	vt100
screen	6	80x50	vt100
screen	7	80x50	vt100
#screen	4	80x25bf	vt100

#keyboard	auto
mux		1

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper