Subject: re: Emulations as LKM (final)
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/2000 19:15:28

   # Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:56:24 +1100
   # From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
   # To: Jarom r Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
   # Cc: tech-kern@netbsd.org
   #
   #    Remaining problems:
   #    * implicit dependency on compat_43 and other compat/common stuff - I
   # won't
   #      make anything about this now; it's just the way it is, however the
   # emulations
   #      should be totally standalone in the future and not require
   # COMPAT_43 in kernel
   #
   # this should be solved by having a "compat43" LKM available that the
   # emulation LKM "depends" on.... i believe the new LKM framework ragge is
   # working on will allow this ?

   FWIW:  Last time I disabled COMPAT_43, I wasn't able to log in, change my
   password or anything else, even on the console (came back with "Not a tty"
   (at the time)).  This was in 1.0-my-god-it-is-crufty/i386.

obviously, the compat43 LKM wouldn't be loaded if that support was statically
linked into the kernel.

   ...has this been fixed, or does disabling COMPAT_43 still produce this
   bug?

i believe that mycroft fixed our userland to not use any compat43 interfaces
a couple of years ago..