Subject: Re: wscons
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/30/2000 20:43:53
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:27:59AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> AFAIK, wscons is broken in 1.5 in that it can't use more than 80x24
> (i.e. default) terminal sizes and other fonts. This is implied by that
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/wscons/ doesn't mention how to do
> it...
>
> Or anyone who succeeds these in 1.5 or -current?

I've got wscons working just fine in 1.5_ALPHA2. I use the 80x50 fonts
and resolution. Make sure the line for the font vt220l.808 is uncommented
in your /etc/wscons.conf file. You can't change the font for your console
device, but you can configure multiple virtual consoles in most typical
cases (like, the i386 with suitable hardware can -- CGA graphics cards
cannot I don't think).

> > how do I get the kernel to boot into vga50 or 132x50?
> >
> > post-boot: wsconscfg reports 'already configured'
> > and
> > 	/etc/wscons.conf seems to have no effect

Right, because the console is already configured. Configure a different
virtual terminal in your /etc/wscons.conf file.

The older terminal systems (pcvt) are dead in 1.5, you must use wscons.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper