Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: Warner Losh <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2000 16:28:31
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <> Bill Studenmund writes:
> : Oh, one thing I forgot to say is that I want to thank Warner for
> : mentioning this. While I think the reasoning behind what he mentions may
> : be flawed, he was trying to keep both the NetBSD and FreeBSD camps on
> : similar pages. I want to thank him for that!
> I may be reporting things incorrectly.  I'll go back and re-read
> things more closely to make sure I don't misrepresent things.

Please, have no fears. I wrote the first note after only reading what was
in my inbox. Seeing what was up with news servers using fhopen came later.
I agree that a news server using fhopen to bypass the name cache is a hack
(perhaps a very effective one), and a different fs might be the right

Thank you again for acting as a messanger. I hope I didn't come across as
trying to shoot the messanger. :-)

Take care,