Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2000 16:06:27
In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0011281442120.13212-100000@gandalf.starwolf.com> Greywolf writes:
: Okay, is there a reason that getfh() shouldn't be mortal-enabled? It
: already does path checking for accessibility; and since a stat() on a
: non-readable file is ok, fhstat shouldn't be a problem, either.

stat on a non-readable file is a problem as it currently isn't
allowed.

: And finally, why not make fhopen() respect the permissions on the given
: file?
:
: I.e. why are these calls restricted to the super-user?  They'd be great
: for providing against race conditions which might occur in the mortal
: realm...

The talk on the FreeBSD side of the world is that these calls should
quietly die a quick and sudden death.  They are fore the nfs server
only and there are practicle problems with their use.  The problems
aren't easily solved.  I'm not sure of all the details, but I thought
I'd let the NetBSD community know what some in the FreeBSD community
are thinknig.

Warner