Subject: Re: Split of syscall code (please comment)
To: =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/27/2000 20:23:15
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:

> Question here is, what is the best way to achieve this. Ideally,
> there would be no code duplication at all; in any case
> it's not wise to copy the syscall() code to n emulation-dependant files.

  I don't think copying would be all that bad in this situation.  While it
would make sense for the BSD systems to share, I don't see the gain in
trying to force Linux emulation to share the same code.  It is not a large
or frequently updated section of code and there are a number of
differences.

  Also, I think it would be better to share by inline functions rather
than messy #includes.  inline is now a standard C keyword and thanks to
C++ is almost certainly supported by every compiler that is interesting.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net