Subject: Re: Webcam API
To: Jeff McMahill <jmcm@FRC2.frc.ri.cmu.edu>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2000 15:18:53
Jeff McMahill wrote

> > What do you mean by not reliably? Did you you role your own code or is
> > it borrowed from another source? What model/type of webcam do you use?
>
> I wrote my own, since I haven't been able to find anything (other
> than the linux driver) that supports the CPiA.  Mine is a Creative
> Webcam II.
>
> Basically when I tell it to grab an image, I always get the correct
> amount of data from the isochronous endpoint.  However, about 75% of
> the time, the header is corrupted.  When it works, the image comes
> out fine though.
>
> I believe I did find a small bug in the ugen isochronous reading
> that could result in some corruption once in awhile, but fixing
> that didn't seem to help... (I'll send a pr in a few days about this.)
>
> This is 1.5_BETA with a -current ugen.c on i386, by the way.

Try vid-1.0.1 that supports a varity of webcams. It only took minor
tweeking to get it to work on NetBSD-i386. I could package it up and
submit it into the pkgsrc tree if there is enough interest.

The raw hack can be found on

ftp://ftp.ping.net.au/pub/unix/graphics/vid-1.0.1-nbsd-hack.tar.gz

In general, I can't confirm the problem you're seeing as it works well
for me.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes