Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2000 14:31:37
[ On Sunday, November 19, 2000 at 18:26:53 (+0700), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
>
> Now I know you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about ...
>
> brandenburg$ ls -lut /etc/passwd; TZ=/etc/passwd date; ls -ltu /etc/passwd
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  762 Nov 19 03:26 /etc/passwd
> Sun Nov 19 10:40:25 GMT 2000
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  762 Nov 19 17:40 /etc/passwd
>
> I'm currently at UTC+0700 (ie: 10:40 GMT == 17:40 local).
>
> Now, which file was that that TZ doesn't refer to?

You didn't show me anything about *ACCESS*.  Just attributes, and one's
that don't really matter in context since in any context where they
might matter they are *NEVER* modified by TZ (because if they are then
the program is buggy by design).

Sure if some idiot writes a shell script that trys to interpret the
timestamps as modified by TZ then they'll get in trouble.  But that
would be a really idiotic thing to do now, wouldn't it.

(Which reminds me -- CVS itself has always had this potential problem
because it does not maniplate timestamps in their basic "time_t offset
from UTC" format.)

> For "ping: to not find the same host as "telnet" finds, no matter what
> the name I use to access it, would be a serious bug IMO.

Exactly.  That's why leaving name-to-location mapping in the hands of
the user is a serious security hole and thus why both $HOSTALIASES *and*
$LOCALDOMAIN must die quickly.

--
							Greg A. Woods