Subject: Re: Multifunction PC Card probing
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2000 16:40:02
In message <200011131719.MAA26093@revenge.stat.cmu.edu> "Johnny C. Lam" writes:
: How should multifunction PC cards be probed when inserted?  Under MS
: Windows 98 with my Linksys Ethernet/Modem card, and I see also with
: the mhz(4) driver, the card attaches as a multifunction PC (MFPC) card
: device, then the ethernet and modem devices attach to MFPC device, but
: from my reading of the code in sys/dev/pcmcia, that isn't what the
: generic PCMCIA config code does.

Yes.  The reason is that the megahertz card isn't a multifnuction
card.  It doesn't list multiple functions in the cis, which is why the
mhz driver is needed.

Sadly, only about 1/3 of the cards I've seen are multifunction (in the
CIS sense) cards.  Those seem to just work, although sometimes some
minor tweaks to drivers are needed (cf ep driver enabling the serial
function).

Warner