Subject: re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2000 08:46:13
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, matthew green wrote:

# so i would of course completely agree with converting all programs to use
# seteuid()-style code.  the next step would be to remove setr*id() and bump
# the libc major finally!

It does appear from the description in the man pages that setr*id is
truly deprecated with the advent of saved-session-*ids.

Tangentially...

I think that at one point I embarked on a psete*[ug]id() call; I didn't
save it somewhere safe so my changes got clobbered on the next sup
retrieval.  It allowed for dynamic changing of privileges on processes.
[I hadn't written psetgroups() yet...].

Obviously, it was a restricted call, and many people didn't see the
point in it.  Maybe my first shot at a syscall, and I figured that
perhaps having something like a permissions broker daemon or something
like that.  I don't know.

# .mrg.

				--*greywolf;
--
Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change ready.