Subject: Promise Ultra 33 and 66 Controllers in NetBSD
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <brucem@cat.co.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/2000 10:54:47
We have been using Promise Ultra 33 IDE Controllers in our systems, with
NetBSD 1.4.1, and a patch to the pciide* files: the pciide.c is marked v1.42
1999/08/30. However, due to Ultra 33's not being manufactured any more, we
are now using Ultra 66's. They are recognised, and allow the hard disks to
be accessed fine, but at the line
	'root on wd0a dumps on wd0b'
we then get:
	'wd0c: aborted command, interface CRC error reading fsbn 1 (wd0 bn 1; cn 0
tn 0)'
	'wd0: transfer error, downgrading to PIO mode 4'

The system then works, but of course performance is reduced without DMA
Modes. Ultra 33's worked fine in DMA mode. Does anybody know how we can get
Ultra 66's working with DMA mode?

Thanks
 Bruce Martin