Subject: re: open_as vs fuid
To: Warner Losh <>
From: matthew green <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/2000 14:14:38
   I'm not sure that I see how this would solve the original problem.
   Namely, how to safely open an arbitrary file with the original user's
   creditials while running at elevated priviledge.  The above mechanism
   requires a central daemon to do something, which strikes me as adding
   a lot of hair to the system.
   I'd still like to know why code like the following won't work.
   	euid = geteuid();
   See my previous message for the details as to why I think this will

you are forgetting the presence of the setr*id(2) calls, which introduce
a number of other scenarios that i believe fail (in NetBSD, these are
real system calls not library functions as in 4.4BSD).