Subject: Re: $HOSTALIASES thing.
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/04/2000 22:09:35
On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

# Actually, if we just would disable utmp recording of xterm etc, we would be
# fine. I've never understood what the value of this was... either you are
# logged in at console, start X11 from there, then you're registered at the
# console. Or you login via xdm, then xdm has registered your session.

But then rwall -- IF you have it enabled -- or wall can't find you,
and shutdown doesn't even try to do the xmessage thing.

The reason I have all xterms do utmp logging by default (for the casual
user who doesn't bother disabling it in their Xdefaults after xdm...)
is because when I bring down a machine, I want it to nail all their
open sessions so they KNOW the machine's going down.  Logging in
via XDM doesn't cut it for logging, and neither does logging in on the
console, because Xconsole starts (iconified -- they don't need to see the
console output) and swallows what goes to the console.

# Single xterms shouldn't have the login session capability any more than,
# say, a subshell started from your sh or csh.

No, but xterms attached to an xsession should be able to tell the
xsession to register them in utmp.  Perhaps the logging is happening
in the wrong place?

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: My Computer Runs!