Subject: Re: config(8) and filesystems.
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/04/2000 17:54:58
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >Looking at PR kern/6061, we have a problem where one filesystem
> >type (MFS) needs another (FFS) to be automagically included in the
> >vfs_list_initial[] array that config(8) builds in ioconf.c.  What I'm
> >looking for is a way to specify this in the config grammer.  At the
> >moment, config allows either
> >	deffs FS1 ...
> >or
> >	deffs fs_optfile.h FS
>
> 	i don't think it nice for MFS to pull FFS automagically in, and
> 	we should just bark if we have MFS alone (and it should be sufficient).
> 	an #error in sys/ufs/mfs/*.c should be enough...

The way it's set up now, all of the FFS code is pulled in anyway - it's
just the just the initialisation of FFS that isn't done.  The way things
are now, there's no way for the code in sys/ufs/mfs/*.c to even know if
FFS has been configured or not...

Note that I wasn't trying to make the inclusion of FFS (or it's startup)
invisible - I wanted to explicitly put in sys/conf/files that MFS
depended on FFS.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/