Subject: Re: emuldata addition
To: Jaromír Dolecek <>
From: Matthew Orgass <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2000 12:18:31
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:
> matthew green wrote:
> > forgive me for coming into this discussion late, but wasn't it the Ulti=
> > Plan to actually *get rid of* struct emul?  it's been several years but=
> > sure i saw someone post about the steps required for this once.

  Emuldata is not in struct emul, though, it is in struct proc and is a
different issue.  It is necessary even if struct emul goes away.

> Maybe what was really though of was getting rid of _aout and _elf distinc=
> within emulation struct, so that any emulation would have only single
> emul struct. Support for binary formats would be in some
> dependant structures.

  That is part of it, but also to make a single separate syscall entry
point for each emulation to avoid the current mess of #ifdefs in MD trap.c
or syscall.c.  Those two things combined leave only three things in struct
emul (name, signal handler, syscall handler) which can be put in struct

Matthew Orgass