Subject: Re: replace kernel random number function
To: Richard Rauch <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2000 13:47:51
Richard Rauch wrote:

> Um, something that no one has directly mentioned:
> If you were to go so far as to change random() to use rnd(), you'd be
> breaking a documented characteristic, wouldn't you?  I.e., the ability to
> reseed random(), as with rand(), to reliably reproduce a sequence.
> ``True'' randomness may sometimes be desirable (as I gather is the intent
> rnd()'s entropy collection).  But, simulations, for example, need to be
> able to regenerate the same sequence on-demand.  (E.g., for testing.)

One thing to remember here is that we are talking about the in-kernel
random number generator.  I'd imagine it'd be hard to set up some sort
of reproducable scenario in the kernel where using a known seed would be
useful.  It's not something that a user is going to have any particular
control over...

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service: