Subject: Re: Proposal: In-kernel loader + symbol table handler.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/19/2000 14:54:41
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Anders Magnusson wrote:

# Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:45:44 +0200 (MET DST)
# From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
# To: tech-kern@netbsd.org
# Cc: joel.lindholm@telia.com
#
#
# Background:
# The current kernel module system is quite bad. It lacks many of the
# features that are needed to do something useful with it.
#
# Vision:
# To add full functionality that makes it possible to have a complete
# dynamic linked kernel. How this will work and its implications will be
# described in a special paper.

Will this dynamic loading perform better than the excuse that Solamis
uses (especially on the SPARC)?

Will we still have the option of statically configuring/loading
a kernel?

[If we don't wish to repel users, one or both questions need to be
 answered with a definite "yes".  Preferably both of them.]

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Agnostics in the Platform Religious Wars.