Subject: Re: why must exiting processes wait forever for events that never
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/18/2000 13:49:33
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# Which reminds me -- I've been thinking since then of going through my
# source tree and nuking all uses of LOG_CONS (or simply removing its
# support from openlog() and thus avoid the problem silently).  I've had
# too many similar experiences where somone pauses output on the console
# and the whole system comes to an excruciating halt.  This even happened
# on a big and important Solaris 7 server at a client site last week.
# With modern systems where the console has effectively become just a
# device where boot progress and panic messages are displayed, and perhaps
# where secure access as root can be gained, I don't think there's really
# much need to have syslog(3) write directly to the console.  It's bad
# enough that the kernel can tie itself in a knot trying to write silly
# messages to a paused console, never mind having every important daemon
# do the same!

You must be kidding.  LOG_CONS is there for a reason -- in case syslogd
isn't running and output has to go SOMEwhere.

Of couse, LOG_CONS should be specified to write to the console only
IFF writing to /dev/log blocks or fails.  Either that, or syslog(3)
should write to the console in that case by default...Hmmm.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: It's not Windows.  Thank the God(esse)s for small favours.