Subject: Re: Time to fix a 25 year old misdesign
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2000 20:56:31
"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> > As I originally described, they can be used e.g. for making the audio
> > device openabale separately for read and write.
>
> That's a design problem in the audio driver -- not a problem in Unix.
>
> Fix the audio driver not to have call to psignal() and you won't have
> any reason any more to mess with the driver API.

It's not psignal() I'm worrying about.  It was just a general example.
I want to implement a audio device that can be opened independently
for read and write, remember.
I know you think this design is broken, but I don't.  And it's also something
we need if we want to have a working Linux emulation.  (That's may not
be the greatest of reasons, I agree. :)
I also want to make the ugen device work in a sane way.  And the wsmux.

--

        -- Lennart