Subject: Re: Time to fix a 25 year old misdesign
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/17/2000 14:34:22
[ On Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 11:29:21 (+0200), Lennart Augustsson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Time to fix a 25 year old misdesign
>
> SIGIO is indeed a hack.  I don't like it or use it.  I'm just pointing out
> that it has a problem that's very hard to solve with the current device
> driver API.

Well, yes, but if you agree that SIGIO should not ever be sent directly
from the hardware driver level then there's no problem to solve....

> As I originally described, they can be used e.g. for making the audio
> device openabale separately for read and write.

That's a design problem in the audio driver -- not a problem in Unix.

Fix the audio driver not to have call to psignal() and you won't have
any reason any more to mess with the driver API.

--
							Greg A. Woods