Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Izumi Tsutsui <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/15/2000 21:28:13
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> > I think that depends on how you define "bus".  The upc driver is for a
> > single chip of the usual PC super-IO variety, and calling it a bus seems
> > over the top.  Do we really want a separate subdirectory for every
> > multi-function chip that might be attached to more than one bus?
> Ok, I see. I notice "puc" at pci also has com/lpt children
> and the files are in sys/dev/pci.

That was what I was basing my layout on.  I'm not entirely sure it's

> But I think it might cause some confusion that
> both wdc.c and wdc_upc.c (and com/lpt etc.) exist
> in the same directory.

Indeed, and in an alphabetical list, they don't end up anywhere near upc.c

> How about sys/dev/ic/upc/ ?

That sounds good to me.  The alternative is to follow the mhzc device
(sys/dev/pcmcia/mhzc.c), which puts them all in one file and uses #ifs to
work out which devices to include.  I'm a bit dubious about that, though,
since it means the driver has to be recompiled every time you change the
set of children it uses, which it'd be nice to avoid.

Portmaster, NetBSD/arm26               <URL:>