Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/15/2000 21:28:13
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> > I think that depends on how you define "bus".  The upc driver is for a
> > single chip of the usual PC super-IO variety, and calling it a bus seems
> > over the top.  Do we really want a separate subdirectory for every
> > multi-function chip that might be attached to more than one bus?
[...]
> Ok, I see. I notice "puc" at pci also has com/lpt children
> and the files are in sys/dev/pci.

That was what I was basing my layout on.  I'm not entirely sure it's
right.

> But I think it might cause some confusion that
> both wdc.c and wdc_upc.c (and com/lpt etc.) exist
> in the same directory.

Indeed, and in an alphabetical list, they don't end up anywhere near upc.c
itself.

> How about sys/dev/ic/upc/ ?

That sounds good to me.  The alternative is to follow the mhzc device
(sys/dev/pcmcia/mhzc.c), which puts them all in one file and uses #ifs to
work out which devices to include.  I'm a bit dubious about that, though,
since it means the driver has to be recompiled every time you change the
set of children it uses, which it'd be nice to avoid.