Subject: Re: Linux seeming to run faster?
To: BSD Kernel <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/2000 10:15:27
On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 03:22:10AM -0400, Matthew Orgass wrote:

>   Linux probably does run faster on every platform.  Just try to read the
> source to see why:  most of the OS is MD and must be rewritten for each
> port.  In many places, Linux directly uses MD instructions where NetBSD
> has several function calls.  In other places, Linux structures represent
> registers where NetBSD structures represent whatever the registers mean.
> Porting Linux almost means writing a new OS.

That would mean that different platforms need not track each other (did
Solaris have that problem?) and that the user isn't guaranteed platform
compatibility (we have some incompatibilities in NetBSD, haven't we?).

It's a little scary.  But then I'm not a Linux fan, even though I
appreciate its contribution to the well-being of the Unix community.

I suppose in a sense it is good to have Linux out there exploring MD
options, there's a distinct advantage in not letting MI considerations
frustrate some instant-gratification hacker.  And, if commercial
considerations push Linux into a standardised distribution, a lot of its
advantages will evaporate in the heat of conformity.

++L