Subject: Re: dynamic configuration (was Re: PR#4094)
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/07/2000 23:25:08
On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Matthew Orgass wrote:

#   Major numbers are evil and should die.  Even if devfs must have
# permissions reset early in the boot cycle each time, it is better than id
# by number.

Well, there goes unique identifier by dev/ino pair.

Would you also suggest that we toss ffs as well?

Major numbers are NOT evil.  They're a pretty damned direct way of
dealing with device accesses.

I'm still skeptical of not differentiating between bdevsw/cdevsw as
well, but I think I get what they're trying to do with that one.  If
I read it right, they're trying to make it so that you have a bit
set on a generic devsw, and it checks that bit to determine if it
should do a block or char I/O on it.

That's not all that different from what bdevsw/cdevsw does; it just
means you refer to it in a different way.

And config files are kind of nice.  It means you can wire devices down
where YOU want them.

Of course, a dynamic config as an option might be cool.

# Matthew Orgass
# darkstar@pgh.net

				--*greywolf;
--