Subject: Re: Nfs clients get frozen when NFS server crashes...
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2000 11:08:06
    Date:        Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:12:29 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>

  | Unless there's an open PR, could you please open one, if only
  | "kgdb doesn't seem to work on the SPARC, more details coming?".

Yes, I think I never did send a PR on that, I think because (at the time,
at least a year ago now) I saw messages that seemed to indicate that it was
a fairly well known problem.  Will do.   If my setup is still in place
(which it might be) I might be able to re-discover which register it was
that was being lost (g3 or something I vaguelly remember).  The effects
weren't at all subtle...

  | perhaps a cronjob to detect this case (Via process table slots or
  | whatever) and log approriate data to local disk, or smtp, or whatever?

Perhaps, if I can work out some automated detection system.  Unfortunately,
without hanging the process doing the check it isn't easy to get something
reliable.   I think I'd just prefer to set up a controlled experiment,
make a mount with the right options, turn off the server (which will be
a server for just this one client for the test, so this will be harmless)
and then watch and see what happens...

kre