Subject: Re: MI debugger magic key sequence
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/22/2000 11:46:44
[ On Friday, September 22, 2000 at 03:29:09 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: MI debugger magic key sequence
>
> >> This is a good thing to clean-up.  I've wanted to look at customizing
> >> it since I've added some stuff to the com driver that we use here (^A).
> >
> >^A is not a very good key sequence if you ever use emacs on the console.
>
> indeed.  or a shell that uses that key, eg tcsh or bash.  or sh with
> editing turned on.

Remembering my days of using Convergent mitiframe machines I can say
with authority that a single keystroke on the console should *NEVER* be
used to do anything that would interfere with the normal operation of
the system once it's in multi-user mode.  (they used ^B to cause a
reboot!)

Even using BREAK alone is asking for trouble in my opinion.

The problem with multi-key sequences though is that you've got to be
careful not to stay in some state where the first doesn cause a hang!

--
							Greg A. Woods