Subject: Re: Where/how is rootvp set in kernel initialisation?
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/2000 20:56:48
> The "Install from MacOS" tools should really die, actually.

I dare to differ - to some degree, or maybe I misunderstood this (not knowing
mac86k).

I'd actually like to see some kind of bootstrap loader from MacOS (for macppc
too), but to the extend of something like "dosboot" on the i386. Actual
installation, of course, should be done by sysinst from the ramdisk in the
kernel loaded by this tool.

There are several situations where you can't get any distributed media to
boot, especialy on port MacPPC. Downloading the Suse Linux stuff via your
MacOS browser and starting up Linux from it was realy simple - while it took
me several weeks to figure out any way to get NetBSD to boot.

Martin